1. Catherine Elizabeth Murphy
- Mary D. Dunham
- Charles E. Dunham
- Luella Dunham+
- William Peyton Dunham+
Sgt. William Pugh Dunham 1143
- Born: 8 Mar 1831, Wayne County, Indiana 850,1143
- Marriage (1): Catherine Elizabeth Murphy 17 Jan 1856 in Jackson Twp., Henry Co., Iowa 1156,1157
- Died: 30 Oct 1864, Millen, Georgia at age 33 1143,1158
- Buried: Beaufort, Beaufort Co., SC
FamilySearch ID: K48W-B4H. Find a Grave ID: 2948731.
He served during the Civil War as a First Sergeant in Company E of the 8th Iowa Cavalry, and died as a POW.
William moved with his family to Iowa in about 1855. After their marriage in 1856, William and his wife lived with his parents in Jefferson County, Iowa. Then from 1857 to 1858, they lived in Garden City, Minnesota, near his sisters Margaret and Lydia. Then from 1858 to 1860, they lived in Linn County, Kansas. Then in 1860 they moved to Van Buren County, Iowa. It was while living there that William enlisted in the Civil War as a corporal on August 14, 1862. He was discharged in February 1863 and then reenlisted in June 1863 as a sergeant. William was captured in Newnan, Georgia in July 1864. He spent the last 5 months of his life as a prisoner of war in Savannah, Georgia, where he died.
At some point during the 1860s, William's wife moved with their children to Leavenworth, Kansas, where they remained. Catherine never remarried and received a pension for his war service for the next 52 years.
(The above information is from: www.ryanwadleigh.com )
• Census: 1850 Federal, 24 Aug 1850, Centerville, Wayne Co., Indiana. 1143
• residence, 1856, Round Praire, Jefferson Co., Iowa. 945 Relationships presumed. Catharine is the wife of William P. Dunham
Payton is a printer but not yet married.
• residence, 1858, Potosi Township, Linn Co., Kansas. 946
• residence, 1860, Potosi Township, Linn Co., Kansas. 947 https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/7667/images/4230563_00069
He is shown as born in Iowa, age 29 and is below his 25 year old wife Catherine.
• Death: Camp Lawton, or Millen Prison: Millen, Georgia. 1159 Records are not indexed but browseable at
Wife's obituary says he died at Andersonville. Ryan says he is buried at Beaufort National Cemetery per FaG
____ See the deposition of Joel Roberts at the death record.
• Military: Civil War enlistment 8th regiment Iowa cavalry, 23 Jun 1863, Salem, Henry Co., Iowa. 1160
• Military: 1st Sergeant 8th regiment Iowa Cavalry, 30 Sep 1863, Davenport, Scott Co., Iowa. 1160 reported died at Andersonville on December 16, 1864.
William married Catherine Elizabeth Murphy 17 Jan 1856 in Jackson Twp., Henry Co., Iowa 1156.,1157 (Catherine Elizabeth Murphy was born 18 Jul 1834 in Keokuk, Iowa,1143,1161 died 6 Mar 1917 in Fort Worth, Texas 1143,1161 and was buried in Lansing, Leavenworth Co., Kansas.)