John Whitney 977
- Born: 1621 977
- Christened: 14 Sep 1621, Isleworth, England 977
- Marriage (1): Ruth Reynolds in 1642 in Watertown, MA 977
- Died: 12 Oct 1692, Watertown, Middlesex Co., MA at age 71 977
3. John2 Whitney (John1); baptized 14 Sep 1621 at Isleworth, England; m. Ruth Reynolds, daughter of Robert Reynolds and Mary (--?--), 1642 at Watertown, MA; d. 12 Oct 1692 at Watertown, MA, at age 71; his estate was probated 26 Oct 1692 at Watertown, MA, inventory taken by Elnathan Beers and Thomas Hammond, embraced 18 lots or parcels of land, amounting to about 210 acres, and prized at £197-15s, including one lot of 17 acres "purchased of father Arnold;" his estate was probated 23 Dec 1692 at Watertown, MA; Ruth Whitney, relict widow of John Whitney late of Watertown, John Whitney, and Benjamin Whitney, as principals, and Munning Sawin and Joseph Whitney of Watertown as sureties, posted administration bond; Ruth Whitney made her mark "RW", John Whitney signed, Benjamin Whitney made his mark "B". The inventory was attested to by the administrators the same day; his estate was probated 12 Mar 1692/93 at Watertown, MA; agreement between Ruth Whitney, widow of John Whitney, late of Watertown, decd., and John Whitney, Nathanll. Whitney, Samuel Whitney, Joseph Whitney, and Benjamin Whitney, sons of said John Whitney, decd., also Enoch Lawrence, Daniel Herrington, and Daniel Warren his sons-in-law, and Mary and Hannah his daughters unmarried, concerning the settlement of his estate; that the said John Whitney decd. left at his death an imperfect will signifying how he wanted his estate disposed after his death, they all have agreed that with alterations, the will should be the rule of the division of the estate. The daughters were each to receive £10 from John Whitney and £10 from Benjamin Whitney within 10 years of the widow's decease, and they relinquish interest in the orchard, but instead they would be paid within 10 years from this date; sons Nathaniel, Samuel, and Joseph Whitney were each to pay 50s to each of their sisters within five years of the widow's decease, but instead they would be paid within 5 years from this date; lands were to be given to the sons without the entail specified in the will; signed by Benjamin Whitney, Phillip Shattuck (attorney to Enoch Lawrence), Daniel Herington and Sary his wife, John Whitney, Nathanael Whitney, Joseph Whitney; mark made by Ruth Whitney and Mary Whitney; his estate was probated 13 Mar 1692/93 at Watertown, MA; Ruth Whitney, widow of Jno. Whitney; John Whitney; Joseph Whitney; Nathanll. Whitney; Benjamin Whitney; Phillip Shattuck, attorney to Enoch Lawrence and Ruth his wife; Mary Whitney; Danll. Herrington and Sarah his wife; and Hannah Whitney; agreed to all the articles and agreements settling the estate; his estate was probated 27 Apr 1695 at Watertown, MA; joint receipt given to John Whitney and Benjamin Whitney for their share of the estate of their father, signed by John Whitney, Benjamin Whitney (by mark), Joseph Whitney, William Shattuck in behalf of Phillip Shattuck, Marey Whitney (by mark), Daniel Herington, and Hannah Whitney (by mark); witnessed by Saml. Gookin, William Shattuck, and Pelatiak Whittemore; acknowledged by all the signers 6 May 1695.
He and Ruth Reynolds lived between 1643 and 1692 at Watertown, MA; on a 3-acre lot on the east side of Lexington Street, on land granted to Edward How, and the next lot south of the residence of the Phillips family, and is probably the same ground occupied in 1855 by his great-great-grandson Bradshaw Whitney. The ground is somewhat elevated, and there is little doubt that it is the "Whitney Hill" sometimes mentioned in the records. He was admitted freeman on 26 May 1647 at MA. He was selectman six times between 1673 and 1679 at Watertown, MA. He was mentioned in his father's will on 3 Apr 1673 at Watertown, MA.
Ruth Reynolds was born in 1623 at England. She died after 12 Oct 1692 at Watertown, MA. She died after 27 May 1695 at Watertown, MA. She was mentioned in her father's will on 20 Apr 1658 at Boston, MA. She was granted administration, together with sons John and Benjamin, on the estate of her husband after 12 Oct 1692 at Watertown, MA.
Children of John2 Whitney and Ruth Reynolds all b. at Watertown, MA, were as follows:
+ 12. i. John3, b. 17 Sep 1643; m. Elizabeth Harris.
+ 13. ii. Ruth, b. 15 Apr 1645; m. John Shattuck; m. Enoch Lawrence.
+ 14. iii. Nathaniel, b. 1 Feb 1646/47; m. Sarah Hagar; m. Sarah Shepard.
+ 15. iv. Samuel, b. 28 Jul 1648; m. Mary Bemis.
16. v. Mary; b. 23 Apr 1650; christened 29 Apr 1650 at Watertown, MA; d. after 1693.
She unmarried in 1693 at Watertown, MA.
+ 17. vi. Joseph, b. 15 Jan 1651/52; m. Martha Beach.
+ 18. vii. Sarah, b. 17 Mar 1653/54; m. Daniel Harrington.
+ 19. viii. Elizabeth, b. 9 Jun 1656; m. Daniel Warren.
20. ix. Hannah; b. circa 1658.
She was unmarried in 1693 at Watertown, MA.
+ 21. x. Benjamin, b. 28 Nov 1660; m. Abigail Hagar.
John married Ruth Reynolds, daughter of Robert Reynolds and Mary Pulleyne, in 1642 in Watertown, MA.977 (Ruth Reynolds was born in 1623 in England 977 and died after 27 May 1695 in Watertown, Middlesex Co., MA 977.)