Sheriff John Henning 1797
- Born: Abt 1531, Poxwell, Dorset, England 1797
- Marriage (1): Dorothy Warham before 1571
- Died: 1617, Poxwell, Dorset, England about age 86 1693
FamilySearch ID: KC5L-HNB.
of Poxwell House, and Nash Court, co. Dorset, High Sheriff 8 James I (1609).
John Henning, was Sheriff of Dorset in 1609/10. and with his wife Dorothy inherited the manor. From there it descended to their 2nd son Richard Henning (1582-1638) of Poxwell, to his 4th son Edmund Henning (1620-1646), then his son Henry Henning (1645-1699). Henry had 2 children, a son who died in infancy, and a daughter Elizabeth Henning (b1670) who inherited the manor. When she married Thomas TRENCHARD on 13th June 1695 the property passed to into the Trenchard family. This powerful gentry family of Wolveton, which is just north of Dorchester, are listed in the visitation of Dorset taken in 1623 and have a pedigree that dates back to 1351. Inevitably they carried great weight in the ruling of the important market town of Dorchester over many generations. Sir Thomas Trenchard was High Steward in Henry VIII's reign; his son George Trenchard was MP for Dorchester in 1572 and Recorder for a year or two in James I's reign. Both the Hennings and Trenchards owned property in the town. 1798,1799
Apparently a lot of confusions and duplicates in FamilySearch.
• Named in will: of his brother-in-law Edward Warham, 6 Jun 1598, Osmington, Dorset, England. Page 2: "...I constitute and appoint my brother in law John Hemming..."
Edward Warham's will proved 13 Nov 1601
• Will, 14 Jul 1616, Poxwell, Dorset, England. 1800 Transcription of the will - year transcribed incorrectly.
• Probate, 3 Jul 1617, Poxwell, Dorset, England. 1800 PROB 11/130/31
John married Dorothy Warham, daughter of John Warham Elder and Catherine Soper, before 1571. (Dorothy Warham was born about 1551 in Maiden Newton, Dorset, England and died in 1611 in Poxwell, Dorset, England 1801.)